Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Book Excerpt #29 "A Touch of Summer in Winter"

46. A Touch of Summer in Winter

But thanks be to God, who always leads us as captives in Christ’s triumphal procession and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of him everywhere. (2 Corinthians 2: 14) 


It was early December, a month when the fragrances of sugars and spices, and fresh pine boughs may waft throughout homes. Our thoughts turn to celebrating seasonal joys. Should life also present some challenges, a shift in our perspective could bring us to new awarenesses. 

Such a time greeted me one December. I was grateful when some insights emerged as I went on a solo procession. I was experiencing side effects from a new medication. Dizziness and imbalance were intensified. The week before my outing, the same effects had eased out. I prayed that same scenario would repeat itself.

 As our weather was mild, I chose to go outside and take a walk. My faith and my cane accompanied me. God led the way. 

The route I took brought me to a charming house with a white picket fence bordering it. During the summer, hollyhocks and sweet peas abound. The hollyhocks had been cut back, but not the sweet peas. Withered flowers drooped down the wire frame that had supported them when they were in their glory season. I noticed three sweet pea blooms remained suspended but upright on their vine. 

Although the sweet peas’ literal scent and colors had faded, their form and tenacity remained as if in full freshness. 

I felt the Lord whispering encouragement to me. My efforts to hang on had not gone unnoticed. He appreciated my using his strength walking out challenging steps in faith. He saw me clinging to him as my Vine, desiring to flourish when harsh touches in my body could have caused me to choose otherwise. 

Those persistent sweet peas must have drunk deeply of the nourishment their vine gave them during sunshine filled days. Likewise, as I cling to God, He offers nurture as I live in the garden of his consistent love and care.

PRAYER
Lord, help me persevere when weariness can overwhelm me. Lead me to the fragrance that is you. Help me breathe deeply, inhaling trust, hope, and the steadfastness that will bring nourishment throughout all seasons. Amen.




Lynn L. Severance. “Seeking the Light of God's Comforter When Challenges Dim Our View “. 46. A Touch of Summer in Winter. . Redemption Press. 

2 comments:

  1. Lynn,

    Thank you so much for the encouragement which I personally received from reading this post. Reminding me that the Lord is always faithful and His eye is constantly taking note of our steps of faith especially when we are like the faded, unscented sweet peas clinging to the vine!

    Much love,

    Barb
    www.castingyourcare.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barb!
      This devotional was the first one I wrote for Rest Ministries - my sample one to submit to them! I literally had this experience as it is expressed. I was so touched I was writing it up in my journal that evening and went, "I think I just wrote a devotional.". I was pursuing RM as a friend suggested I write devotionals for them!!

      I had never thought of writing a devotional and looked what happened!!!

      I am ever grateful it encouraged you!

      Love,
      Lynn

      Delete

Leave a note to help us all sing! What are your thoughts?