Saturday, May 9, 2020

At Home

Homeowner
I will not enter my house or go to my bed -- I will allow no sleep to my eyes, no slumber to my eyelids, till I find a place for the Lord, a dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob
(Psalm 132:3-5).

During the years of Jesus’ ministry he was a transient. He went where directed by his Father. He preached to those who gathered. He healed many who were in need. He rested when he could with his apostles, a few close friends, or alone. When a teacher of the law inquired about following him, Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head" (Matthew 8:20).

While on earth, Jesus restored the path leading back to my eternal home. Completing this redemptive act, he needed to return to his Father. He promised his disciples to send his Spirit to dwell within them. He would empower them to continue sharing his teachings. Each of us can make this life-changing choice to have God’s Spirit dwell within us as well.

His Spirit within me transforms an empty space into a true home. I want to provide a place for him to rest. He wants me to be at rest. I sometimes wonder how he must feel in my fragile and challenged body. Then I remember that any strength I have is fueled by his Presence. He has turned me into a homeowner! 
He brings the seeds for our garden that will grow his fruit: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. (Galatians 5:22-23a)  
With his help I can be vigilant to notice anything that will disturb our sacred soil. Thieves are ever ready to break in and rip out the seeds that have taken root and are growing. These weeds of sin, doubt, fear, and self pity are only a few potential home wreckers. They need to be thwarted so that the garden thrives. 
Blooms appear. Bouquets from our home can then be shared with others. 
Prayer: Lord, thank you that your Spirit has come to make all things new, including me! As we dwell together you make our home a haven -- a home sweet home, indeed. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Amen; the Lord bless you.

    https://dcbverse.blogspot.com/2017/02/homelessness.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note to help us all sing! What are your thoughts?