Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Remembering to Sing!

Singing a Song of Zion

By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion. There on the poplars we hung our harps, for there our captors asked us for songs, our tormentors demanded songs of joy; they said, "Sing us one of the songs of Zion!" How can we sing the songs of the Lord while in a foreign land (Psalm 137:1-4)?
Those who sat and wept refused to sing their sacred songs away from Jerusalem, the city where their God dwelt. Similarly, when the intense challenges of life are upon us we feel catapulted into a foreign land. The temptation to give in to the physical and emotional captors can become very real. 
The messages in the Psalms express the highs and lows that are a part of our life events. Knowing that down through the ages others struggled with our same cries may help us feel less alone.
 “Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the Lord” (Psalm 27:6).
“Praise the Lord with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre” (Psalm 33:2).
Our faith and trust in God has been established through the years either through a chronic illness or in different crucibles and within shorter seasons of challenges, God forges a deeper reality of himself. He understands. He notices. Rather than hanging up his harp of love and comfort He is ever ready to soothe our soul and heart. He rejoices over us with singing. 
We can rest in this calming reassurance. If we are to be held captive by anything, let it not be by uncertainty and fear but by the One who dwells with us in the midst of them.
Prayer: You have entrusted us with your Presence, Lord. We can choose to walk forward with you and be nourished by the new songs awaiting us. We can excel and sing with you as our maestro! Amen. 












4 comments:

  1. That was a good one Lynn :)  Sometimes it is hard to sing or listen to music as our mood is not ready for it. Sometimes we need quiet and meditation and to pour out our sorrows and complaints to the Lord.  I'm grateful we can do both, praise through music, and pour out our sorrows to Jesus.
    Blessings.
    Karlton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, Karlton.

      Here is the background on the photo I took to go with this devotional.

      I met Linda Hill - Phoenix through my friend, Anastasia Hansel. When Anastasia's husband Tim was in a hospice setting in San Diego, Linda volunteered there and would, with patients' permission, come in and sit with them and play her harp. She and Tim got well acquainted and later on she played at his memorial service. I took this photo to go with the devotional in my book - took it 10 years ago - when I was able to go to CA and stay with Anastasia. It is one of my favorites (although I could say that about all of the photos and the history behind them. I"ll see if Linda has a website link. She once did but if I find it and there are samples of her playing, I'll post it below.


      Delete
    2. I don't know why the closed caption is in Japanese / Chinese - but it is a good interview!

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6IwN8HjQhg&t=91s

      Delete
    3. Spotify link to Linda's harp music if you want something soothing to listen to.

      https://open.spotify.com/album/0eSvuh7dxmrt9ltNWdGoZG

      Delete

Leave a note to help us all sing! What are your thoughts?