Sunday, September 8, 2019

September Musings (excerpt from "Seeking the Light..."

Promises, Promises 

May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant. (Psalm 119:76) 

Each day brings variants to what we may experience. There are times that stun us in what arrives unexpectedly. We cry out for a place to turn for comfort and calm. 

This verse is a plea to access God’s unfailing love, a promised comfort. For some, their challenges create intentional daily pleas. Others will plead as challenges emerge.

Here are a few of God’s promises. 

Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. 
(Hebrews 13:5b) 

For I know the plans I have for you . . . 
plans to prosper you and not to harm you, 
plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11) 

Nowhere among these and other promises from God’s Word, does it say how He will fulfill them. My life’s road may twist and turn causing me to wonder how He is working. I may not sense his presence or have any sense of hope. 

My body and heart can become weary. 

Yet I know God is love—the greatest of his gifts. I know He is faithful. I need but look back to promises fulfilled from my past pleas. They are recorded in my daily journals and are embedded within my heart. They give cause for praises, thanks, and hope in knowing that I can confidently trust him. 

“In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; 
in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly” (Psalm 5:3).

 I desire to be his devoted follower. Even when I falter, He never does. His love never fails nor do his promises. 

God is honing my unconditional love for him as He fulfills his promises. He’d rather I focus on this than on my feelings or understanding of how He will bring fulfillment. With my trust and faith in him, we share confidently on the road to his revelations. I have made a promise to follow him, no matter the cost. 

Indeed, both of us are promise keepers!

Prayer:



Lord, when I become impatient, help me stop and remember my promises to you. Serving you means trusting you—your love, your timing, and your ways. The reality of your faithfulness will keep me strong. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note to help us all sing! What are your thoughts?