Saturday, April 20, 2019

Holy Saturday, 2019 "A Peaceful Heart"

A Peaceful Heart 

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish? (Psalm 22:1) 

We can recognize our feelings mirrored in the Psalms. None of us will ever suffer the torments that Christ suffered on our behalf. However, we will have times of feeling we have been forsaken by him, and by others. Such emotional pain is unbearable.

 In reading this psalm, a memory was triggered within me. I recalled an innocent comment that had stabbed at some deep unmet needs in my soul, mind, and emotions. For days this particular pain would not leave me. It was not so much a feeling that God had forsaken me, rather, I was unable to release the pain. My cries were repetitive and coming from a desolate place. I was so busy calling out to God, that it was not until I stopped to take a breath that He could respond. 

As his loving answers came, the emotional pain subsided. Tears of gratefulness streamed down my face. 

This psalm continues in verse 24 to express more of Christ’s tenderness. “For he has not despised or scorned the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.” 

In my self-centered maze of pain, it may have appeared that God was hidden from me. The reality is He wanted to speak. I needed to get quiet—able to listen. 

“Come. Face Me heart to Heart. You will be able to hand Me your bruised emotions when we are that much closer. Let Me take the broken pieces. Let Me hold you and transfuse new life and hope from my Heart to your heart. I came for this reason so long ago as I cried out in the pain of forsakenness. Only I know how to truly help you now. Receive my peace-filled Heart. “

Prayer

Lord, I hear your invitation to enter your heart and offer you my pain. Thank you for the agonies that you bore for me. As I let go of the burdens I carry, I receive your gifts of all I need. Amen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note to help us all sing! What are your thoughts?