Sunday, June 10, 2018

Book Excerpt # 39 "Come Away and Rest"

28. Come Away and Rest 

I would hurry to my place of shelter, far from the tempest and storm. (Psalm 55: 8) 

We are often exhorted in Scripture to cast our cares on the Lord. These are times He can comfort and sustain us. Thus, it is a given such times will come into each life. Nonetheless, they can catch us unawares. Psalm 55 is filled with the cries of one who is distraught and needing the comfort of a calm shelter.

Jesus, our human Savior, needed respite from the crowds and the demands that could drain him. At such times, He stepped apart to be alone with his Father. He did so for direction and relationship, solace, restoration, and peace.

 If Jesus needed this kind of rest, how much more will we need the same?  Physical and emotional challenges do intensify weariness. We must set aside time to be renewed with the energy of encouragement so we can choose to persevere. 

How do you seek restoration during overwhelming times? Are you someone who can get away from your home and discover rest in this way? I have experienced times of refreshment in God’s magnificent creation. I love the quiet natural environments where his beauty is manifested. In the quiet, they can speak volumes to my soul. 

Are you homebound? When I recall times I could be away from home, these remembrances bring joy. The memories remain fresh within me. God blessed me with the events in the first place. He was with me when they occurred and dwells with me in their recollection. 

The truth is, wherever we are, God is near and ready for our attention to be focused solely on him. In choosing to spend time with him, any place becomes a resting place. We need but stop and let God meet us where we are.

He is my rest and He is your rest. May each of us allow him to reveal his nearness and care. He loves us and knows what will restore us in the best of ways.

Prayer:

Lord, help me turn my attention to you, recognizing you are my place of refuge. You are ever ready to shelter and strengthen me. And I am ever appreciative receiving your graciousness! Amen.



Lynn L. Severance. “Seeking the Light of God's Comforter When Challenges Dim Our View”  28. “Come Away and Rest”. Redemption Press. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note to help us all sing! What are your thoughts?