Thursday, January 1, 2015

Welcoming a New Year

Seasoned


But the land you are crossing the Jordan to take possession of is a land of mountains and valleys that drinks rain from heaven. It is a land the Lord your God cares for; 
the eyes of the Lord your God are continually on it from the beginning of the year to its end (Deuteronomy 11:11-12).

On the first day of each new year, I read this Scripture passage. 
It is a reminder that another year has arrived which will hold seasons of days.

Before I look forward, I look back on the highlights from the year just completed. 
Yes, there were mountains and valleys. I journeyed through them! I will face joys and challenges in the year ahead. I intend to walk into the unknowns of each new day aware of God’s faithfulness. 
He guides me if I choose to let him.
True, the Lord cares about the land and the year, 
but he cares about me more. 

His presence is steadfast. His eyes are continually on me desiring me to cooperate with him. He accompanies me with his grace. I need not dwell on each day of the whole year. That would be overwhelming. God sees those days ahead. I release them into his hands. I commit to accepting his grace as I live out one day at a time. 
Will I discover it to be a mountain day or a valley day or somewhere in between? 
Maybe it will be a day comprised of all three!

As I read this Scripture, I know that I will have questions as some of my days present themselves to me. 
That is alright. 
Seasons from other years in my life have helped me to recognize that 
my not- knowing is simply part of God’s all-knowing.

 He sees the land’s obstacles. I trust and follow his lead. I become a seasoned traveler by choosing to accept both the mountain days and the valley days. 
Each nourishes me as I drink the rain from heaven - God’s presence itself.
Prayer
 Lord, you are my constant comforter as I face the seasons of my life and the unknowns of each day. Thank you for being my hope, my trust, and my guide as I treasure you in each moment. Amen.

( Mt. Baker is part of the Cascade range of mountains in Washington state. I took this photo from atop Mt. Constitution on Orcas Island, one of the San Juan Islands. July, 2010 )
from . . .Seeking the Light of God’s Comforter . . .When Challenges Dim Our View




6 comments:

  1. "Seasons from other years in my life have helped me to recognize that my not-knowing is simply part of God’s all-knowing."

    Oh, I treasure your wisdom, Lynn. I want to grow more and more in my own faith in this direction too. May God bless your 2015 in amazing ways, sweet friend! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Lisa - not sure how "wise" I can claim to be but there surely have been a LOT of years of "not knowing" which leads to accepting that God is leading. My desire is to be sure I am following - don't want to get lost!

      May we each grow closer to Him this year. Love you, too, sweet friend!

      Delete
  2. Love this encouragement for each new year Lynn!
    Such comfort knowing He is all-knowing.
    Blessings, Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Fiona - and I always appreciate the encouragement that He gives to me through you!

      Love, Lynn

      Delete
  3. Great wisdom concerning our perspective on what takes place in any given year. Thankful for the insight hindsight gives us with God in it. Glad I stopped by your site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, it is nice to have your stop by. Thank you for leaving a comment.

      True - if we let Him, God can give us insights to help us keep going and using His strength when the way gets challenging.

      Bless you!
      Lynn

      Delete

Leave a note to help us all sing! What are your thoughts?