Friday, February 10, 2017

Day #6 Countdown to Book Launch - "This is Dedicated to . . ."

There are many reasons why an author will write a dedication to a person or persons that is part of a published book. As I put Seeking the Light of God's Comforter---When Challenges Dim Our View together, there could be no other choice than my friend, Tim Hansel.

I knew Tim from his writings, long before I had the privilege of meeting him. In March, 1983 when I turned over in bed one morning and went into a extreme internal vertigo attack, my life changed forever. The constant dizziness, punctuated at times with vertigo attacks, imbalance and other side effects and fear raised the question, How would I now "do life"?

I continued teaching, adapting the ways I organized my classroom - grateful I could still teach. About two years into this condition which  has remained with me these 34 years, I read Tim's book, You've Gotta Keep Dancing' and it enlightened my soul. Tim lived in excruciating chronic pain as a result of an accident while hiking in the Sierra mountains in California. He certainly faced the challenges of loss that came into his life, but he learned to rise above them, not in denial (no way to deny chronic pain) but in realizing one can choose joy, even when circumstances are not joy-filled or pleasant. God has given us that choice. He also gives the strength to make that choice possible.

 Tim was asked to write books to encourage others and I, and millions, have been influenced by them in the best of ways.

Tim did conferences - was high in demand for his charismatic and uplifting joyful messages that conveyed hope to those in attendance. I was able to get on a mailing list, hoping I might one day attend one of his conferences and experience him in person, possibly even meet him. Then. . . .


Tim and his wife, Anastasia sold their home in southern California to move to Seattle to care for Tim’s mother. She lived in the same home where Tim had grown up and she was in need of care. It was at this time, I met these two treasured friends. 



I had sent them a note offering help if they had a need. And one came up some months into my reaching out to "welcome them to the neighborhood". How could I have ever known, that my desire to simply go to a conference would turn into six years (2000-2006) of caring friendship (in person), that continued when the Hansels returned to California, and what has remained after Tim's death (2009) and to this day. 


Thanksgiving,  2000


2010 in California "on Tim's couch" beginning deep revisions in my manuscript 




The "Life Savers" teddy bear is a gift from Tim for a kindness I did. The photo is a header in the section of Seeking the Light that lists book resources that offer encouragement.



Tim


Friends for the journey are friends who understand the journey - through the joys and grief - and never turn away! 


7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Lynn, what a beautiful way to pay tribute to such a dear friend and mentor in your life. I so enjoy reading the stories you have told about Tim Hansel's experiences, works, and inspiration. I am sure that he is now smiling down on you and proud of what you have accomplished - and you have accomplished a lot! Thank you also, Lynn, for being "a friend for the journey" in my own life. Many blessings be upon you as you continue on yours and much love headed your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelby - it is my joy to share with any I can about this amazing man.Obviously he influenced my life in meaningful ways. I created the photo board for him yesterday that will be at the book launch and lots of memories flooded in. Anastasia, too is part of the honor the board reflects. We both loved looking at it once I got it done.

      Yes - we have become and will continue to be "friends for the journey"!!
      Love, L.

      Delete
  3. Lynn, what a beautiful way that God wove your lives together to bless each other. How special that the interweaving continues, as you & Anastasia reconnect & enjoy memories together before your book launch. May God bless you both as you create new memories together. LOTSoluv Kerryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kerryn - when you get to that Kindle, you will read Anastasia's beautiful endorsement which certainly wraps words around some miles we (and also with Tim) have walked together. It means a lot to have her share in this culmination celebration of the book!

      Love,
      Lynn

      Delete
  4. Having been blessed in reading Tim's books before I came to know you Lynn - it's always seemed special that you knew him in real life! Now the story behind your dedication of this book to him, is just another reminder of why God places people in our lives to share the journey with us - He knows just what we need and just when we need it.
    Not long to go now Lynn - praying everyone is as filled with joy, as we are, to finally see this launch and all the years of work, come to fruition.
    Blessings dear friend,
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Fiona. In ways I never imagined, Tim's influence was with me writing the book - one I never had any inkling of writing but, well - here I am. It seems surreal a bit that the time has come to celebrate. I am joyful but also in awe. It is hard to explain in words but grateful comes really close.

      Thanks, as always, for your care and support!
      Love,
      Lynn

      Delete

Leave a note to help us all sing! What are your thoughts?