Monday, August 20, 2018

Facing Goliath

“Deliver me from my enemies, O God; 
be my fortress against those who are attacking me”
( Psalm 59:1).

This Scripture reminded me to the story of David facing Goliath, one I thought I knew well. I was blessed with some insights that helped me during the time I revisited it. The ESV translation of this Psalm blessed me with enhanced  perspective.

 “. . .O my God; protect me from those 
who rise up against me;”

Young David heard the insults being hurled at the Israelites. Shocked by the words and the atmosphere in the camp, he went into defense mode.

Fearless, mocked by the others, climbing out of Saul’s armor in which he could not move, David was confident to face Goliath. Why? How? Saul and his troops were shaking in their boots!

David never questioned that God would deliver Goliath into his hands. Five smooth stones and a sling shot were his natural armor. The deeper protective armor was his trust in his God who had consistently delivered him from dangers in his past. God dominated David’s view.

We will face Goliaths -- challenges in body or soul, mind or spirit. When whoever or whatever comes to bully us, our battlefield can be covered with our confidence in the One who is our armor. 

We can exchange the roughened stones that bind us in fear for God’s smoothed stones of trust and faithfulness.

Praise

Lord -- 
Greater in me than anything 
within or without coming to destroy -- 
Let’s triumph!


from “Feathered Whispers from God’s Heart”

Lynn L. Severance



2 comments:

  1. 🌈💜waterfall lady, refreshing and challenging 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Lynne - it is indeed challenging for we face so many 'giants' in our lives that can get our focus all skewed. This story from God's Word reminds us to re-focus and put on the right armor which is already within us.

      Love you, shining rainbow girlfriend!!

      Delete

Leave a note to help us all sing! What are your thoughts?