Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Book Excerpt #25 "The Power of Words

40.  The Power of Words

“And in his temple all cry, “Glory!” The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace.” (Psalm 29: 9b, 11)

The Old Testament relates how God’s words spoke creation into existence (Genesis 1). The Word of God became flesh and dwelt among men. Some of Christ’s words are recorded in Scripture to teach and exhort us. He spoke forgiveness while dying and reconciled us to the Father. 

Christ’s promised gift of his Spirit who would dwell within us, comes to those who choose to receive him. He longs to be deeply present and a consistent source of guidance and fellowship. He has promised to never leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13: 5). These and other amazing grace-filled words from him deserve responses of gratefulness and praises. 

And in his temple all cry,“ Glory!”

 I want my spoken and written words to enhance relationships and my internal words to bring peace, not anxieties. May I not only read God’s words in Scripture, but listen to the quiet voice within me that I have come to know is his. I want to speak honestly to him when burdens of my life  are heavy. I want to keep my heart open to receive his words of counsel and comfort. 

Words spoken in confrontation with another can lead toward resolve and peace. May I gather honest prayer-filled words to thank him for his faithfulness.

 I cherish the caring words both spoken and written from others. Reception of them has brought joy and consolation. When alone, I have passages in books that change my attitudes, enhance my understandings, and renew my hopes. I never want to underestimate the power of God’s words or the effect of my own. 


In many configurations, the power of words is revealed. Hopefully, God’s glory is revealed as well.



Lynn L. Severance. “Seeking the Light of God's Comforter - When Challenges Dim Our View”. 40. The Power of Words. Redemption Press. 

2 comments:

  1. Amen & amen!
    I'm constantly amazed at the creative power of words, both positive & negative! Then when it's God's word, it's dynamic! Oh to treasure & cherish His Word in a way that it deserves, yet often I'm a bit flippant with it. May God reveal more to us through his glorious Word! God bless. LOTSoluv Kerryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerryn - you are ever sweet and faithful to read my blog entries and leave a comment!

      They are great words to read (quite powerful, in fact)!

      Love, Lynn

      Delete

Leave a note to help us all sing! What are your thoughts?