Sunday, September 29, 2019

Remaining Hopeful

Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. (Psalm 25:4-5) 

Hope is a key to staying focused on the Lord. It is one of God’s gifts I can lose sight of quickly. It happens in the blink of a thought! I stray away for a time. You each know these types of thoughts: fear I have failed God or others, fear I will not get through a time of grief to feel joy again, fear of what a medical test will show, fear of what the future may hold. 

I rob the present of God’s peace when I worry.

 I cringe, catching myself when these times arise. Yet, if negative thoughts go undetected, they escalate. The feelings that accompany them do as well. When I snap back from my mental straying, I am humbled. My desire is to discern quickly the side trips that have me stumbling off the path where God can teach me. I want my hope focused on him, not on imagining a future yet to come. Looking back upon my former days, I confidently remember how He has never forsaken me. 

Some of my tomorrows held harsh news. He faithfully steered me through those rough times. I could not depend on my own strength. He and his strength kept me moving, rebuilding my hope in him. These were his deepest times of teaching me, an answer to this psalm’s plea. 

Scripture tells us there is faith, hope, and love and the greatest of these is love. My perspective that hope is needed to keep me focused does not diminish love. It is God’s love that helps me return to his path when I get drawn away. 

My remembrances that He is my hope strengthen my faith. 
He beckons me to follow this triune pattern by putting all three of his gifts into their proper perspective, centered in him. When they work in tandem, I am able to remain hopeful.

Prayer

Lord, my deepest longing is that I remain steadfast as I love you, hope in you, follow you, and faithfully trust in you completely. Amen.

(Photo taken in Cambridge, England)

The River Cam




2 comments:

  1. Good one Lynn!
    I especially liked his line:
    "I rob the present of God’s peace when I worry."
    Blessings!
    Karlton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karlton - that is one of my 'go to needs' in that one line.
      I hope 'someday' to get to that place faster than sometimes I do.

      Glad to see your comment.
      Blessings back -
      Lynn

      Delete

Leave a note to help us all sing! What are your thoughts?