Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Shadows

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High 
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty
(Psalm 91:1) 

The word shadow evokes a variety of feelings. Unexpected shadows can bring delight when I see them cast a beautiful design. Conversely, some can bring alarm with their foreboding forms. 

This psalm exhorts me to rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I know I can trust his emanating light to provide shelter if I stay close to him. It can deflect shadows that would attempt to intrude on my life and bring confusion. Therein, he offers safety, comfort, and guidance. 

As I pondered this concept of shadows, I wondered if faith might be like a shadow. Scripture tells me that faith is, in part, “assurance about what I do not see” (Hebrews 11:1). 

As I  am walking with the Lord, I depend on his light and his sight. The past lies behind me, covered by the shadow that his light, grace, and forgiveness cast upon it. 

I am to live in the now, trusting the One in the lead. My future, vague to me, is clear to him. My faith becomes sight when the Lord chooses to move me into the light of what He already sees. 

Both connotations of shadow are depicted in Scripture. 

“Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me” (Psalm 23:4a NKJV). 

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows” (James 1:17). 

I’ll have times of fear. The challenges that life brings long for restoration. When I step outside God’s zone of comfort, I falter. I am reminded of how much the security of his shelter provides. I need but take one step back to where He will envelop me.

Faith. Shadows.

Both are gifts from God. Both are places where He dwells and invites me to enter in and share the security of a safe space with him. 


Prayer
Lord, our adventures have been many. Your light sheds meaning when I cannot see clearly. I remain grateful that you are my haven of peace as I choose to remain close to you. Amen. 


4 comments:

  1. Amen. I will have times of fear, too. Knowing God is holding me in His loving arms truly gives me comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, thank you for your comment. I 'know' often more than I "feel" so it is comforting to return to the truth of God's promises to us of how deeply He loves us and always is holding us close to Him in the deepest of heart connections. e

      Delete
  2. Lynn, your devotional on this topic is fantastic! It's a beautiful photo & the topic keeps getting expanded by the Holy Spirit each time I read this devotional!
    I was VERY thankful recently to be in the shelter of shadows during the record breaking heat! God's shadow for us keeps us from burning! LOTS of meaning with that thought! Thanks again for sharing your writing. LOTSoluv Kerryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning! I'm trying to sign up to receive emails from you. I was very blessed to read your words about consecrated weakness as my Pastor and I shared about this yesterday and God is sharing about this with me in my morning Devo! I never liked the word weak nor weakness til my Pastor shared his knowledge with me on weakness and now Gods confirming it! How blessed am I!!!�� Katherine

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note to help us all sing! What are your thoughts?