Sunday, June 24, 2018

Birthday Reflections at 75 - Appreciation for the Gift of Life

8. Looking at the Glass, Lightly 

For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. (1 Corinthians 13: 12) 

As I write, it is my birthday. I am grateful for the gift of my life! More than seven decades ago doctors pronounced I would not survive the delivery room. Today, happier words greet me. A former first-grade student writes, “Miss Severance, thanks for learning me good.” I smile at his grammatical joy aimed at me! 

Have I learned good, Lord? You have blessed my days in many ways. I am filled with gratitude. There have been tremendous challenges, beginning with my fight to live beyond the delivery room. At that time you instilled a love within me to choose life. I don’t like the trials but I treasure the ways you help me through them. Realistically, looking from this side of the glass, parts are smudged and splintered from the challenges and choices that have comprised my life. 

I see these imprints because your light shines through showing them to me. I also acknowledge and view the beautiful moments. I choose to recognize both. I desire to dwell in the buoyancy of your light that lifts me above a world that can clamor, wanting to pull me down. Someday I will understand reasons for many of my life events during these past decades. I am in no rush. Delivery to my eternal home will come and all things will be made clear. 

It could be that any whys that exist now will be unimportant then. I will abide in the knowing and not in any asking. The learning good part is my trusting you while looking at the glass of my life lightly. I want to seek your wholeness in what appears broken. In the midst of any challenges, I am still a reflection of you. I want nothing to dim that image.


Prayer: Lord, every day I see glimpses of beauty amidst the more marred parts of your created world. Help me recognize your touch, especially in my life events that are hard to understand. Knowing you understand can bring me a peaceful contentment. Amen.



Lynn L. Severance. “Seeking the Light of God's Comforter When Challenges Dim Our View”.8. Looking At the Glass Lightly. Redemption Press. 

16 comments:

  1. May we all notice glimpses of beauty to cheer us on our way "HOME".
    May we all recognise your touch in the hard places we all face.
    Lord please continue to bless Lynn in the year ahead, as you continue to make her more and more like Jesus.
    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary - thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such a caring reply.
      I do receive those blessings!
      
Love,
      Lynn


      Delete
  2. Nice devotion Lynn!
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karlton!

      And thank you, too, for the birthday wishes!

      God bless -
      
Lynn


      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday And blessings galore be upon you my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne,
      
“Blessings galore” sounds mighty fine!

      May they be ‘galore’ for you, too
      .
Love,
      
Lynn


      Delete
  4. Let the light of Christ continue to shine; for He is the stronghold over your life. In Him there is no darkness. Let it shine, let it shine! Happy Birthday Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patty!
      Indeed, we want to continue to shine for Him.
      Amen!
      Love,
      Lynn

      Delete
  5. Love this verse, devotional message, photo & prayer! Happy Birthday dear Lynn. God has smiled upon you & blessed you with life, even when others thought they knew better than God! Praise God for His hand upon your life then & now. May this birthday be one of great blessings upon you and all whom you come in contact with. God bless you dear friend. LOTSoluv Kerryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerryn,
      Thank you for the birthday wishes all the way from Australia!
      
That is a long journey but they landed just fine.

      

I do praise God for his hand upon my life and his continuing faithfulness.

      And I thank Him for you and your friendship in my life!


      Love,
      Lynn

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Melissa,
      Thank you for stopping by and leaving your kind birthday wishes.
      You are much appreciated!
      Lynn

      Delete
  7. I love your insight that the "whys" of now may not matter then. Happy birthday, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty,
      I have often wondered about the many things 'we' do not have answers for. It seems the answer is that when we reach Home, God will reveal it all.

      And that is possible but in the light of what we find out - the answers will just evaporate as mist for the revelation will make so much sense in the Light of His plan that unfolded.

      xo Lynn

      Delete
  8. "Help me recognize your touch, especially in my life events that are hard to understand. Knowing you understand can bring me a peaceful contentment. Amen."
    This is wisdom from a life well-lived. Thank you, Lynn!

    I think of you often when Jeff battles with dizziness. His isn't near as intense or as frequent as yours, but enough to grab his attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa.


      It is always so nice to hear from you.


      I am sorry to hear that Jeff still has bouts with that ole vertigo. It is not a welcome guest at any time.



      Love to you both,
      
Lynn

      Delete

Leave a note to help us all sing! What are your thoughts?