Thursday, December 21, 2017

Book Excerpt #30 "As We Journey Toward Bethlehem"

47. As We Journey Toward Bethlehem 

Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the earth and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and the man became a living being. (Genesis 2: 7) 


Bethlehem! 

This word, when referencing the city in Palestine— a short distance from Jerusalem— has deep meaning for Christians as the celebration of Christ’s birth marks our calendars. His birth is cause for joy during any season, but Christmas time brings forth a focus of more intentionality. 

Many festivities commemorate the event. There will be gift giving, card sending, and love abounding as people get together. Music may fill homes as it brings messages of the season to our hearts. 


Birth. Wonder. Hope. Fulfillment. 

One song that settles deep within me is “Breath of Heaven (Mary’s Song)” by Chris Eaton and Amy Grant. The lyrics convey Mary’s thoughts on her journey toward Bethlehem and as she struggles with the weight of the imminent birth of the Child she is carrying. 

Heavy, too, is the responsibility she foresees in raising him. Mary senses the need for the breath of heaven to hold her together and be forever near her. As she surrenders to God’s plan, she recognizes the grace she needs for each of the days to come has also been entrusted to her. 

The same weights that overcame Mary can be echoed in the lives of any of us who are living with a chronic condition or working through the trauma of a life event. “Can I bear this burden for one more day? Can I see the gift in this pain entrusted to me?


Can I overcome the grief and fears that 
loom up large engulfing me?” 

God’s breath of life created us. We carry the breath of heaven within us. His life sustains us. We do not journey alone. 

As we ponder Christ’s birth, we can commit to a renewal in allowing him to rebirth us. We are as dependent upon him as He once was dependent on Mary. We also share in the grace-filled promise that He is forever near.



Watercolor image by Dave Peterson
sketched specifically for Lynn's book

Lynn L. Severance. "Seeking the Light of God's Comforter - When Challenges Dim Our View". 47. As We Journey Toward Bethlehem. Redemption Press. 



2 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful & relevant devotional for me today. Thanks Lynn! I love the way that God led you to write this... & Dave to paint this... long ago to speak into my situation today! His word is always like that for us. Relevant now, though written long ago. God is graciously guiding us & giving us the grace & breath that we need to manage another day! God bless you dear friend. LOTSoluv Kerryn PS. I LOVE that song! It's one of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Kerryn! I am grateful this message comes again and again to us. It was the second devotional I wrote to submit to RM in 2008! I wrote it remembering a time in 2005 when my body had almost completely shut down in mobility from being placed in a 'wrong healing plan' by a neurologist. That has occurred in May of that year.

      I was standing (good progress) in my kitchen in December when this song came on and I remember every fiber in my being crying out to God as I said, "Oh, that is how I feel. Breath of heaven hold me together, be forever near me, breath of heaven!".

      Three years later, in December, as I was thinking toward submitting devotionals (never having written one), the experience with the 'sweet peas' shriveled up in December but clinging to their vine inspired the first submission and this one inspired the second submission.

      I sent them off to RM (a volunteer coordinator was doing the devotionals for RM then) and this one came out the next day AS the devotional of the day.

      God surely opened a door in those moments.!!

      Love,
      Lynn

      Delete

Leave a note to help us all sing! What are your thoughts?